...........................................................

...........................................................
Blessed by everyday blessings

these are a few of my favorite things

~smiling faces~

~hugs and kisses from grandchildren
and hearing the name Nanny from far away places~

~mostly old sometimes new~

~quilts with love stitched through and through

~Babies and butterflys and all things created~

~To know you are loved makes life sweet with grace traces ~























recipes

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tips from a turtle....



You don't have to be speedy

       sometimes it is more about slow and steady.


                               The important thing....

                                                is to FINISH!


Today I am sharing a UFO  that is now FINISHED!!!!

I know cold and snow is kind of a sore subject right now
as spring has been slow in coming....

so I'll just warn you.... this project is SNOW related.





 

I am a good starter..... I am not so good at finishing. 

So can the heavens just open for a moment
             and let the angels sing.... HALLELUJAH!

It feels REALLY good to have this finished!!!!! 




This project was probably pieced over 4 years ago.

                    SO  Sad!

I brought it out of hibernation in January of this year,
decided to move it forward and  labeled it.....
                 
                   MR. January UFO.






 Today it is SO LOVED!!!




It is adorned with DMC embroidery floss ,

 quilted with Pearle Cotton #12.



The fabric used are a mix of cottons and flannels.
The snowman noses are wool.




                   
   I am on a journey to learn how to hand quilt.



 In the beginning stages it is a journey of learning to persevere.  My fingers got tired of being poked with a needle.  I  had to tell myself to keep moving forward even though I was always wondering if I was going to like how it looked in the end.   I challenged my self to set small goals each time I sat down to quilt... focus on what is in the hoop at the time... don't worry about the end.... trust thy self.... somehow  it all comes together :)   My mind wanted me to quit constantly.... and surrender to machine quilting.... because it was taking toooooo long.

NOTE... Do NOT surrender.

 A hand quilted finish is sew wonderful!



 Sew Satisfying!  Sew worth the time it takes to do it! 

                



Poor guy in the middle








          

The back of the quilt



Raw edge applique-
trying something new.
 then fattened up the lines
to make it a bit chunkier.



Philadelphia Pavement
made with Recycled shirt






First time incorporating a label into the piecing




Pattern....
"Frost Bite"
Created by
Teachers Pet


I have modified the pattern slightly by adding the snowflakes
and changed the borders up a bit.



Hand quilting ..... it makes me happy.


Janita







             








3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this Janita! It is a beautiful quilt....is it for sale? HAHAHA! I, too, have many UFO laying around; including a basket full of yarn that is waiting to be knit or crocheted (once I learn that trick) into something useful. Sigh....some day.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

You did a great job, Janita! I knew you would get it done. You can be very proud of yourself. You will have to show it at our quilt show this summer. Anxious to see it up close.
Jeanine

pinsandneedles said...

Great finish! Love the hand quilting and the back is wonderful! Give yourself a pat on the back!

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...