...........................................................

...........................................................
Blessed by everyday blessings

these are a few of my favorite things

~smiling faces~

~hugs and kisses from grandchildren
and hearing the name Nanny from far away places~

~mostly old sometimes new~

~quilts with love stitched through and through

~Babies and butterflys and all things created~

~To know you are loved makes life sweet with grace traces ~























recipes

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Celebrating Easter
here on earth......
just a taste of heaven

You know heaven is going to be awesome when a day here on earth celebrating the amazing love of God is wonderful from beginning to end.   here are the sweet details.

 The day started with worship....Jesus is the Answer,  Mighty to Save,  Up from the Grave He Arose!     Love has Come




We went to two church services Easter morning even though for weeks I had been telling myself I would only have time for one because of everything I would have to do to get ready for my family coming for lunch and I would also be teaching sunday school for little people that morning.  We were encouraged several times to join in the Easter choir and I stood firm and declined thinking I can not do it this year it's too much.  Then we were asked to participate in another part of the services called "cardboard testimonies". 


this is not our church but you'll get the idea of what we were asked to do here.

Not really wanting to do that either for the same reasons above.  I told Bryce if I had to go he had to go too to a meeting explaining what the pastor wanted us to do.  Reluctantly, We would go, listen to the speal, and then decline. My heart was not in it. I thought,  If I had to drag my husband there he was probably not going to want to do it either. To my surprise, my husband rallied in support of the opportunity,  he knew before many of us what he would put on his cardboard,  I surrendered ... God used me/us.....many were blessed by that part of the service.  and guess what everything else I needed to do for the day got done too.

Amy called at some point I think on Monday after palm sunday and asked, "Can we come for supper on Easter instead of for lunch?" The in-laws for both of the older girls had plans for lunch. The pieces needed to make all of my responsibilities fit without being totally exhausted for Easter were starting to fall in place.  God knew I would need more time.


 In sacrificing what I thought needed to be done and  serving him I found His strength and blessing for the day.    My house was not in perfect order  but it was a perfect day with my family.  I just kept a steady pace did what I had energy and time for  and it was enough.
NOTE to self next year. Easter supper is highly recommended. There was not a rush to get to the next gig.


 The table was beautifully set.....



  I am not sure what I did when I set the table  for the other 20 years prior, probably just your basic necessities but this year  as I was rumaging through some of my fabric in an old trunk I came across some antique fabric that just said easter to me with purple and pink flowers.  So I sewed when I should have been cleaning, and I made 3 table runners with no fabric  left to spare.  They ran across the table making placemats for 6 people rather than down the middle of the table. I  Picked up some purple napkins just as an after thought, that is not what I went to the store for the second time on Saturday, minutes before the store was closing !  I had wanted some fresh flowers for the table but didn't get that accomplished  but without saying anything about flowers,  Ariann went out and picked some sweet little violets and laid them on the napkins and they were the perfect touch.  FREE FRESH FLOWERS! you got to love that on a budget!


The food was amazing .....   I thought no one would be really hungry after eating a big lunch but by 6:00 they were all starving.     We had beef brisket......thank you Sam's club for a free day sans membership fees to come in and buy anything you wanted.      Cheesy potatoes with a new twist........I used 1/2 cup crushed Chicken Stove top stuffing for the topping mixed with 2 Tbs. melted butter because I didn't have anything else ...  Delicious!   I'll be doing that again.       Layered Lettuce Salad......    Texas Toast... and for dessert  Pecan Pie (leftover from the in-laws) and Layered Toffee Cake .    My daughter Ariann said, "When i go to my husbands side of the family and eat  everyone says how good the food is  and it is good don't get me wrong but inside i'm thinking you have no idea how good food is until you have eaten at my family's table. "  That was a huge compliment to me.   I've lived a lot of years with my girls thinking food was nothing special.  Today was special!        

Since I was the main chef the pics of the food did not happen but here is a recipe to share with you.


CHEESY POTATOES
1 Bag shredded frozen hash browns
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt
1- 1 1/2 cups shredded Co Jack cheese
3/4 cup shredded Velvetta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbs. milk
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup melted butter

CRUNCHY topping Mix
1/2 cup heaping Chicken Stove top stuffing mix
2 TB.  melted butter

Butter 9X13 cake pan .  Mix all of ingredients except for crumbs for topping and 2 Tbs. butter in a large bowl.  spread eavenly into cake pan.  Crush  stove top stuffing in a baggie with a rolling pin.  Pour into small bowl and mix with 2 Tbs melted butter.  sprinkle on top of potatoes.

Mix up the night before to allow potatoes to thaw.  Or if you are like me and didn't get to it the night before.   just mix it up and let it set on the counter for a bit (not all day) 1/2 hour to one hour, until it is time to go in the oven. 

Bake  350  for 1hr 15 minutes or until hot.   your family is going to love it.

the reason we celebrate.......
I had a small mystery basket on the table and Emmy and Opa had to try and figure out how
the items in the basket related to the Easter story with some help from the sidelines.

 And we shared the resurrection story with "Holy huevos"  spiritual eggs. We made these when my daughters were little in Sunday school.  Yes  for 15 years we have been storing these goodies!



finally the climax of the celebrating.......time for the hunt....   AND SHE"S OFF!

easter egg hunting in your easter dress just because you can.


      Our new little walking wonder is trying to figure it all out.




MISSION EGG HUNT IS ACCOMPLISHED!
                            
Sunshine after about a week and a half of rainy dreary weather was wonderful.  It was a beautiful day!

                      Together is the best place to be

trying to get just one smile.....


            and the sisterhood continues!




 From the mouth of babes.......( Emmy said it and I know Addilyn was thinking it)...
                                
                               Best day ever!

Thank you Father in heaven for this taste of heaven  in two thousand eleven. 
Today and everyday, Celebrate the Savior!  He is worth it!

Thanks for stopping by!
Janita

No comments :

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...